Sunday, February 1, 2015

The Adventures of eLearning

My district has implemented eLearning for canceled days.  Indiana allows us to make up all our days using eLearning because we are an "A" district.  So far we have had 3 eLearning days taking place the day of a cancellation and a 4th happening tomorrow.  In addition, students will be having an eLearning day on Presidents' Day as it was a planned make-up day.  Tomorrow will be the first time we all know school is cancelled before bed.  The other days were either somewhat of a surprise (called after a 2 hour delay) to a complete surprise.  

The guidelines are pretty simple.  Teachers are supposed to have their eLearning lessons posted on My Big Campus by 9am.  The lesson should reflect what could be done in class on a delay schedule, so that means the assignment should take approximately 30 minutes at most.  Teachers must be available through email and My Big Campus from 9am-3pm for questions.  Students have up to 5 school days to complete the assignment.  This part is a little confusing as they do not actually get classroom time for the assignment but instead have access to computer labs and help before/after school for an hour those 5 school days.  Teachers are not supposed to introduce new material.  

I should add that my district is 1:1 iPads 7-12th grade (take home).  I am not clear on what our K-6th students are doing as 4th-6th have 1:1 but iPads aren't supposed to go home, and K-3 only have a few iPads for classroom use only.

eLearning has definitely been an interesting experience.  First, even though we are in our 3rd year of 1:1 iPad implementation, I do not think we have hit our stride yet with iPads being used as a learning tool.  Many students push back, not bringing their iPads to class.  Because students do not have iPads in class, teachers rely on them less for the day-to-day instruction.  

eLearning has changed things as the students must complete their assignment online. (some exceptions)  A full semester under out belts, and I had students asking for the first time how to download their school apps such as Pages, Keynote, and Numbers.  Students who left their iPads someplace dead are now charging up and using them.  Teachers are finally feeling that they can plan lessons using iPads in the classroom because more students are coming to class prepared.  

My Big Campus is our learning platform of choice.  Teachers must post their assignments on their class group announcements.  The actual assignments might be completed through MBC's Schoolwork or discussion tab, or the assignment might actually be located on another site or app, such as Showbie.  

Are things perfect?  Nope.  Are we learning and doing better with each assignment, I believe so! Here's what I have learned so far:
  • Students do not want to login to My Big Campus.  They want to be told in person what they are to do and be handed the work.  This obviously doesn't apply to all, but it is surprising how many resist going to the one resource that will have everything they need.  I am standing firm that they must login and go read the directions and information provided.  Once they have made that effort, they can ask clarifying questions and get help.
  • Auditory learners may struggle with directions typed out, especially considering some formats of eLearning are new to them.  The first assignment I typed out the directions.  I thought it was pretty straight forward, but one student struggled with what to do.  The next assignment was trickier as it was a discussion.  For this assignment I typed out the directions and how points could be earned.  I then recorded myself explaining it all.  
  • This generation of students will struggle with eLearning. Why?  They are used to having a free day to sleep away and do as they please.  Some are having a hard time adjusting to the fact that they should be getting up and begin their assignments.  These students put it off only to find themselves overwhelmed on the final day as they have regular school work plus the eLearning to complete.  With each assignment it gets a little better, and I am sure after a year or two of doing this, students will adjust.
    • Note: A district near us expects the eLearning to be completed the next school day. While giving a week to complete the work leads to procrastination, my district recognized that there will be students and staff without power or even without internet at home to complete the assignments.
  • My Big Campus has made a lot of improvements!  Because of my position, I do not have a lot of opportunities to use it.  With eLearning, I have had my news crew watch videos and answer a few questions that were automatically graded.  Another assignment they completed an assignment with a rubric set up in MBC.  I was able to quickly click through the rubric to give them their scores.  This past assignment I tried a discussion.  I was able to track their comments and update their scores as the discussion progressed.  Even better, I can open up the gradebook and see all their scores in one place!
I'm positive there is still much to learn as we continue with eLearning.  For now, it is time for me to go upload tomorrow's lesson and plan ahead for other possible cancellations! :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment